Convention Discussion on Slack
Members can use the #local-convention Slack channel to discuss the convention.
Metro DC DSA is hosting a chapter convention to update our bylaws and vote on resolutions to help define the path forward for our chapter. The convention itself will be a one day event, wherein delegates from the chapter will deliberate and vote on the proposed amendments and resolutions that have been submitted. Please note the following deadlines:
- Amendments to the bylaws and general resolutions must be submitted no later than September 23, 2017. All proposed amendments and resolutions will be posted to this page (dsadc.org/convention) within a few days of this deadline.
- Amendments to the proposed amendments and resolutions must be submitted no later than October 6, 2017.
- The finalized language of all proposed amendments and resolutions– including their respective amendments– will be posted no later than October 10, 2017.
The convention will be held Saturday, October 21, 2017 from 12PM to 6PM at the Columbia Heights Educational Campus (CHEC). CHEC is approximately two blocks west of the Columbia Heights Metro station. A map is available here.
Rules + Procedures
You may read the full rules for the 2017 Local Convention by clicking here. A PDF version is available here.
The local convention will adhere to Robert’s Rules of Order for its parliamentary procedure. It is strongly advised that all delegates familiarize themselves with Robert’s Rules prior to the convention; in fact, all DSA members are encouraged to have at least a basic understanding of Robert’s Rules, as well as of parliamentary procedures in general. A comprehensive guide to Robert’s Rules is available at rulesonline.com, and a very abridged overview is available here.
The following is the definitive list of proposals that have been submitted, emended, and amended for the local convention. This list will be updated as new proposals are prepared. Delegates are strongly encouraged to review all proposals in their entirety prior to attending the convention. Click “Read More” next to each proposal to display its full text.
We haven’t published any proposals yet! Check back soon.
Submit a Proposal
Metro DC DSA members in good standing are welcome to submit proposals for deliberation at the local convention. You may review the current chapter bylaws here: dsadc.org/about/chapter-bylaws/
All submissions will be reviewed by the Local Convention Working Group. You will be contacted with any requests for clarification or emendment suggestions. Proposals will be published to the site as they are prepared and approved.
View a sample Resolution document: Google Drive
To submit a Resolution, please use the form here: Google Form
View a sample Amendment document: Google Drive
To submit an Amendement to our chapter constitution and by-laws, please use the embedded form below. You may also access the form directly here: Google Form
RSVP to Attend
If you plan to attend the local convention as a delegate, please fill out the form below. While we encourage all chapter members to be involved in the process, we ask that delegates consider the following guidelines prior to registering:
- Delegates must be present on the convention floor for the entirety of the convention, from 12PM to 6PM on Saturday, October 21, 2017
- Delegates must have a basic understanding of parliamentary procedure, including Robert’s Rules of Order. To learn about Robert’s Rules, please review the resources linked in the Policies + Procedures section.
- Delegates are expected to review and agree to the Convention Rules prior to registration. These rules have been formally approved by the Metro DC DSA Steering Committee and are binding to the convention procedures.
- Delegates are expected to review all submitted proposals prior to the convention. While deliberation and discussion is encouraged during the convention, delegates should have familiarity with the amendments and resolutions beforehand.
To register, simply submit the form below. If you have previously registered but cannot attend, please contact email@example.com to notify us as soon as possible.
If you plan to attend and require accessibility considerations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you plan to attend and require childcare service, please email email@example.com.