Socialist Feminism Reading Group 🌹
September 9, 2017 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
at the Kogod Courtyard at the National Portrait Gallery in Chinatown, Washington, DC. | 8th and F Streets, NW Washington, D.C. | Washington, DCEvent Page: https://www.meetup.com/DC-DSA/events/242129476/
Please read our Socialist Reading Groups: Participation Guide and join us as we explore and discuss topics within Socialist Feminism 🌹
Note: Occasionally the Kogod Courtyard is taken over for private events. If that happens for our meeting, we will move up to the former snack bar on the 3rd floor of the same building. There are tables and chairs there, and it is quiet, but no food is allowed, alas.
This month, our readings focus on the topic of Toxic Masculinity. As we read these articles, we should think about how toxic masculinity relates to the inextricable interdependence of patriarchy and capitalism with its reinforcement of a system of sexual hierarchy that ensures the order and control via a sexual division of labor that benefits capitalism. Click on the links in the title below to access the documents:
**Extra added below so that we can talk about a woman wearing stiletto heels to a hurricane and how that relates to toxic masculinity:
• Extra: What Threatens Trump’s Fragile Masculinity, CNN Opinion by Kate Maltby, August 15, 2017. ” [His relationship with women including his wife] …isn’t just fratboy masculinity; this is the performance of fratboy masculinity. (Hence, also, the flashy watches and those long ties swinging beneath his crotch.)
• Patriarchy and toxic masculinity are dominating America under Trump: Expert Terry Real explains how hyper-masculinity presents a danger to us all, Salon, Aug 1, 2017.
• STREET SMARTS? THE DISTORTION OF MASCULINITIES OF COLOR – PART I – MONEY, Karani: Escribir O Volar: Ayer como Ayer, Ahora como Ahora, December 14, 2013
• Toxic Masculinity Keeps Men from Talking about Mental Health, Sarah Hagi, NOV 24 2016
• How a Lack of Touch is Destroying Men, Mark Greene, Jan 28, 2017
• “The New Man of 4Chan” by Angela Nagle in the Baffler #30, is long and stomach turning, but addresses a toxic masculinity phenomenon that we socialist feminists should discuss. (I advise turning to something mind-soothing like a talking dog mystery 🐶 after reading this article.)